Friday, July 18, 2008

Beatles on Ed Sullivan Show

Friday July 18, 2008
* * * * * * * * * * * * *


My Dad was no Yogi .. but he said some funny stuff …

Beatles on Ed Sullivan Show


The date was Sunday; February 9, 1964. The Beatles were playing their American television debut on the vastly popular, American TV program, the Ed Sullivan Show.

It was the single most important day in the history of music. There were over 50,000 requests for tickets in a Theatre that held 703 Guests.
Most of America came to a standstill that night as 73 million viewers tuned in. That is nearly three times the number of viewers who watched the highest rated Survivor TV program.

The Beatles sang the Lennon/McCartney songs, All My Loving, Till There Was You, She Loves You, I Saw Her Standing There, and I Want To Hold Your Hand on the show.
One week later, they performed on the show again although it was recorded from a Miami Beach Hotel. They performed She Loves You, This Boy, All My Loving, I Saw Her Standing There, From Me To You and I Want To Hold Your Hand.

The 3rd televised Sullivan performance came on February 23, 1964. Technically, this was their first performance, because the Beatles recorded this performance on February 9, 1964, before their historical ‘first’ appearance. This program was taped that afternoon for airing three Sundays later. The Beatles played three songs, Twist and Shout, Please Please Me, and I Want To Hold Your Hand.

On Sunday, May 24, 1964, the Ed Sullivan Show broadcast an interview that Ed had with the Beatles, where they talked about their new movie, "A Hard Day's Night." And with this interview was a tape of the Beatles singing, You Can't Do That, from the movie.

When the Beatles came back to America in 1965, and while preparing for their famous concert at Shea Stadium in New York, they taped six songs on August 14, to be aired on the Sullivan Show on September 12, 1965. The Beatles played six songs; I Feel Fine, I'm Down , Ticket To Ride, Yesterday, Help and finally Ringo was allowed to vocalize his talents by singing the Country tune, Act Naturally which had been made famous by the legendary recording artist, Buck Owens. Although taped, this would be the last "live" performance the Beatles did for the Ed Sullivan Show.
But, the Beatles still appeared a few more times, after that, via tape.

But I want to concentrate on that September 12, 1965 show.
I had just begun my Sophomore year at Herndon High School. I had been an avid music aficionado since I was three years old and I had watched all of the Beatles’ performances on Ed Sullivan.
My Dad and I watched that telecast together in the Living Room of our modest Herndon, Virginia home .. on Jonquil Lane. I was the youngest of five children so my Dad was an older man, at the time. Still, even though my Dad seemed like an old fuddy-duddy in most things – he enjoyed ‘young peoples music’ .. as well as his favorite ‘Hillbilly’ stuff. I remember him listening to my older Siblings’ Rock’n’Roll records when they were played, around the house. He even mimicked some of the lyrics.

On this night, the Sullivan Show, which aired between 8 and 9 PM was delayed by about 10 minutes due to an old American Football League game that went long.
Usually, my Dad would leave our house at 9 PM to go pick up my Mother who worked at Dulles International Airport. Her shift ended at 9:30 PM.
But when 9 PM came, my Dad stayed in his old red rocking chair. I asked why he wasn’t going to pick up Mom. He said he wanted to stay and watch ol’ Ringo sing his song.
Sure enough, at the end of the Ed Sullivan Show, the Beatles closed with Ringo singing the Buck Owens classic, Act Naturally.

When the song .. and the show ended, my Dad got up and grabbed his hat and went out the front door to pick up my Mom. As he disappeared through the doorway, he looked back at me and remarked,
“You know .. ol’ Ringo ain’t such a bad singer –
BUT HE AIN’T NO BUCK OWENS !”

I laughed then .. and I laugh every time I remember that remark, from that night.

My Dad was no Yogi .. but he said some funny stuff …




LARRY CURTIS SPURLOCK

No comments: