Monday, March 2, 2009

Siouxsie Says





Monday March 2, 2009
************************



Hello, my name is Siouxsie
I write songs, sing and play guitar in the Florida keys .. and
Siouxsie says …



In 2005, I was fortunate to have been a part of a PBS production of Carole King’s 'Welcome To My Living Room' tour.

I was invited to play three songs with my 1978 Gibson Hummingbird acoustic guitar at Red Rocks Amphitheatre just outside of Denver, Colorado.

I played as a part of the full ensemble on Carole’s 1962 smash hit, Loco-Motion. I also sang my best selling song, Aye with that group. But my highlight of the night and my life was singing a duet with Carole.


In 2004, I was performing a gig in Marathon, Florida along the islands known simply as the Keys. After my first 50 minute set, the establishment’s owner took me to a nondescript table off stage left and introduced me to the recording legend – Carole King. I was so shocked and astonished that without thinking, I went to my knees at her feet. I was unable to speak but I clearly heard her say that she was enjoying my show.
When I was able to compose myself, she and I chatted for 5 minutes or so.
She was on vacation by herself, completely by herself. Completely.
I asked her to sit in with me and do something and was astounded that she agreed. Her only request was that I not mention her real name. Something to do with her new record label yada yada yada and privacy.
I knew several of her songs but we agreed to do a song that she wrote in the mid 1960s called Sometime In The Morning. This song was made famous by the made for TV band The Monkees who performed it on one of their television shows.

So, she and I went into the owner’s bar suite and practiced the song for about 3-4 minutes; tops. Then she went back to her table. After my customary 10 minute break, I came back onstage and did 2 covers that I normally do. Then I looked over at Carole and smiled. She nodded affirmatively and poured down the remainder of her drink. I introduced her as Queen Carole and told the 50 or so patrons that she was one of my childhood neighbors. No one seemed to suspect a thing.
After we knocked out the two and a half minute number, the crowd stood and applauded. It must have dawned on the audience who my singing partner could be because quite a few people approached her over the following 20 minutes or so. I noticed that she would shake her head as if saying, no – I’m not Carole King.


And so, at Red Rocks, Carole and I reprised that night’s tune with grand success. And again, we received a standing ovation. This time from thousands instead of 50 or so.
The shivers went down my arms and legs and I’ll never forget that night for as long as I may live.


The musicians that evening were absolutely fabulous. FABULOUS!
Besides me and my acoustic guitar, there were:
a Lead Guitarist
a Rhythm Guitarist
a Rhythm Guitarist (non-electric)
a Bass Guitarist
a Dobro player
a Pedal Steel Guitarist
a Fiddle player
a Banjo player
a Mandolin player
a Saxophone player
a Trumpet player
a Trombone player
an Organist
a Piano player
and
2 Drummers (one bongos et al)
along with 6 back up singers (3 men / 3 women)


My agent is currently negotiating a possible gig for me later this Summer – Autumn at Zilker Park in Austin, Texas to be televised later on PBSs Austin City Limits.





Edited by Blogmeister ..


w/
Blogmeister’s note:
To hear the Monkees version of
Sometime In The Morning
click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RppY5b6h6eM

.

.

.

No comments: