Friday, September 18, 2009

DR. LIVINGOOD

September 18, 2009
* * * * * * * * * * * * *



An interesting anecdote of:
.
DR. LIVINGOOD
.
Yes, that’s his real name.
.
.
.
Dr. J.K. Livingood of Herndon, Virginia was always in a jovial mood and cussed without thought. THAT is how I knew he was a good Doctor – my Mother hated people cussing but always took me to him, regardless.

Dr. Livingood came to Herndon right out of Med School in 1958. He was a bachelor and drove a 1958, dark blue, Thunderbird, convertible.

I don’t remember my very 1st visit to the good Doctor but my parents took me to him for various ailments during my childhood. I was taken to him when I was hit by a pitched ball and knocked groggy in Little League in 1960. The next year, I was taken to him when I fell from the back of a station wagon vehicle at DayCamp and knocked unconscious as my head banged off the concrete curb. I even went to him on my own when I feared that I had some type VD as a teenager. (it was just wear & tear .. if you know what I mean) :lol:
Many times I found myself in his care when I succumbed to the Flu or Poision Ivy infections.
It seemed that the first thing that I was always asked to do was to go hehind the curtain and pee in a bottle.

On one occasion when I was about 22 years old, I went to see him. I don’t recall what the ailment was that I had. Regardless, his Receptionist/Nurse, Mrs. Hunter, took me back to his Office/Examining Room and he immediately summoned me to the curtain and handed me the little bottle to pee in. I did. When I returned, the Doctor dipped a piece of litmus paper into the urine (as he always did). Without looking at me, he remarked that I had been eating Pistachio Nuts, hadn’t I ?
I. Was. Amazed ! Flabergasted, I was. Astonished.
I looked at him and told him that I was dumbfounded that medical advances had been made to the point where a Doctor could dip a piece of litmus paper into someone’s urine and immediately conclude that person had been eating Pistachio Nuts. I couldn’t halt my bewilderment.
I continued. Praising him for his ability to analyze this medical breakthrough. I sat there shaking my head trying to come to grips with the advancements being made in the medical community. This was truly a fascinating development.

Finally, Dr. Livingood looked up at me and nonchalantly told me that he could see the red dye stains on my fingers, from commercial Pistachio Nuts.

:GildaRadner: Never mind. :GildaRadner:

:LOL:
.
.
.
.
LARRY..CURTIS..SPURLOCK
.
.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember Dr. Livingood! Thank you for your memories of him! He was a kind, but very down-to-earth family doctor. He treated me and my kids. Do you have other stories about him? I can’t find anything else about him, online.