Friday, October 9, 2009

Old Yeller



Friday October 9, 2009
** ********* ********* **



Grandpa, why did they shoot
.

Old Yeller



When I was a young little boy, I spent a few days with my Grandma & Grandpa.
My Grandpa took me to see the Movie, Old Yeller.
It was a cool movie but at the end, when they shot Old Yeller, I cried, of course.
As we were leaving the Theatre, I asked Grandpa why they had to shoot him. My Grandpa put his hand on my shoulder, as to comfort me .. and told me that it was because the dog killed some chickens.
It never really seemed quite right .. but that’s how it was.
.
Several months passed and my Family went to have a Sunday Dinner with those Grandparents. Several of my Uncles and Aunts and their Families were there, as well.
That morning, my Grandma picked some Ears of Corn from their Garden and killed several Chickens and plucked them, preparing for the large Meal.
.
That afternoon, after everyone had eaten their fill, the Family retired to the back Porch where they sat and talked. My Grandpa, who was a Hunter took out his old Shotgun and began cleaning it.
.
The story that my Family tells goes like this:
I approached my Grandpa and with tears in my eyes, asked him if he was going to shoot Grandma. When he assured me that he wasn’t going to shoot her – he asked why on Earth I asked that question.
My simple child-like answer was,
“ Well, .. because she killed some Chickens ! “
.
.
.
LARRY..CURTIS..SPURLOCK
.
.
.

No comments: