Monday, June 16, 2008

Dear Blog

Monday June 16, 2008

Dear Blog

Well, the weekend got off to a sad start when Tim Russert passed away on Friday afternoon. Tim was NBC News’ Washington Bureau Chief and Moderator of the nationally televised Sunday morning TV show, Meet The Press. His cause of death was not, immediately known. Russert had just returned from Italy where he and his family were celebrating the recent graduation of his son, Luke from Boston College. Personally, I watched the show every week and will, truly, miss Tim Russert’s tenacity but fairness in interviewing his political guests.

Also, on Friday – I met one of my former High School graduating Classmates, a lovely (and darned intelligent) lady by the name of Dianna Meredith. Dianna works for an attorney in Herndon and has held that position for the last 11 years.

Then, on Friday night, the long awaited concert featuring Alison Krauss and (former Led Zeppelin Vocalist) Robert Plant took place at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Columbia, Maryland. From all accounts, the show was a huge success as the Bluegrass woman and Blues man sang wonderful harmonmies together .. regardless of who was leading. The duo played for two hours and even did a few Led Zeppelin penned tunes although the Rock was traded for Gospel on most of them.

On Saturday afternoon, I watched the HBO movie Final Recount. I found it to be a very interesting, behind the scenes, view of the 2000 U.S. Election for President between Al Gore and George W. Bush. I will not dissect this production, politically, at this time. I found it to be an accurate account of what, actually, happened .. and ‘it is what it is’. But there was one aspect of the film that intrigued me and that was the actor that portrayed James Baker III who was Dubya’s campaign manager. All throughout the two hour show, whenever this actor spoke (and he did a lot), I felt compelled that I knew him from somewhere .. but could never figure out just where.

Once the show ended, I Googled up whom he was and found his name to be Tom Wilkinson. He was the actor that played Ben Franklin in the recent HBO series, John Adams. I, absolutely, loved THAT presentation .. and Ben Franklin, IMHO, was one of the greatest politicians / scientists / Founding Fathers / authors / inventors / civic activists / printers / theorists / Statesmen / activists / Diplomats .. and humanitarians of all time. But that is another Blog Article for another time. Soon. I promise.

Surprise, surprise, surprise .. the no account Washington Nationals baseball team swept the Away 3-game series with Seattle Super-Sea-Mariners. The Nats are, now, 13 games below .500 and begin a 3-game series in Minnesota with the Twins.

Dale Ernhardt, Jr. won NASCAR’s Lifelock 400 at Michigan International Speedway on Sunday. It was Junior’s first win in 76 Races. Kasey Kahne finished 2nd and Matt Kenseth finished 3rd. Next Sunday finds NASCAR at Infineon Raceway in the Toyota/Save Mart 350 in Sacramento, California.

The 2008 NBA Finals Game 5 was won (barely) 103-98 by the L.A. Lakers. The series is now 3 games to 2 in favor of the Celtics .. and heads back to Boston for game 6 .. and 7 if needed.

Father’s Day was a wonderful day as I am able to live with (and see daily) my only child – my Daughter, Brittny. We have an excellent relationship .. and both appreciate being able to spend this portion of our lives around each other. I am very lucky !

Today’s LoCo weather forecast calls for another 90 degree day but over the next week, temperatures should remain in the mid to low 80s .. with, maybe, a few days in the 70s. But I'll believe it when I hear it has happened. For the last 12 days, the air temperatures have been between 88-98 .. and it’s only June.
Key West's high is predicted similarly but with late afternoon Thunderstorms.

My Lumbar injury has me damn near incapacitated since my most recent lightning strike. Any sudden shift in my Lumbar .. or God forbid, if any weight is placed upon my spine – the pain is so severe that tears drip from eyes, uncontrollably.

Can you believe Worker’s Compensation and Ohio Casualty Insurance company are attempting to steal away my medical benefits. BASTARDS !

Okay, thanks for dropping by this Blog, today.

I hope to see you, tomorrow, for amateur Lyricist day at this URL.

My time is, now, up .. I thank you for yours.

LARRY CURTIS SPURLOCK

No comments: