Tuesday, July 29, 2008

don't take me

Editor’s Note:

The year was 1989.

On October 17 at 5:04 P.M., a major earthquake struck the San Francisco Bay area. The earthquake was nicknamed the World Series Earthquake because it occurred just before a World Series baseball game was scheduled to begin in Candlestick Park.

That year, Hurricane Hugo was a destructive Category 5 hurricane that struck Guadeloupe, Montserrat, Puerto Rico, St. Croix, South Carolina and North Carolina in September of the Atlantic hurricane season, killing 82 people and leaving 56,000 homeless.

Between April 15 and June 4, Chinese Labor Activists demonstarted against the Chinese Communist Party’s ruling class in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square.

* * * * *


4 17 212 9

1989


larry curtis spurlock


don’t take me

1
i want to go to a baseball game
but i don’t want to be in an earthquake
i want to see the crowd react
but i don’t won’t to feel the stadium shake
i want a hot dog, some peanuts and a draft
but i don’t want a bellyache
so take me to candlestick park
but don’t take me to an earthquake


2
i want to go to a southern beach
but i don’t want to be in a hurricane
i want to enjoy the water so warm
but i don’t want to go down the drain
i want to swim and fish and boat
but i don’t want to feel any pain
so take me to the outer banks
but don’t take me to a hurricane

3
i want to go to a student protest
but i don’t want my friends to die
i want to stand up for the right
but i don’t want to cry all night
i’d love to pose for the cameras on the world
but tanks aren’t a pretty sight
so take me to tiananmen square
but don’t give me a terrible fright

don’t take me
no don’t take me
oh don’t take me
.. to see anyone die

( repeat verse 1 )

No comments: