Monday, August 4, 2008

Dear Blog







Monday August 4, 2008


Dear Blog


Firstly, I admit that I am no Gardener of any consequence. No time / no adequate space .. and no specialized experience. But, last year my Daughter brought home a Sweet Cherry Tomato seedling and I planted it by our side door. I misted it all over and watered it, daily. As it grew, I intertwined the many branches in and out through the chain-link fence that was next to it. During May, June, July, August and part of September – this plant presented us with over 250 of the sweetest, best tasting Cherry Tomatoes that I have ever eaten.

When I was a child growing up in rural Herndon, Virginia – my Family always planted a Vegetable & Fruit Garden. It was not huge .. but certainly big enough for a 5-kid, 2-parent Family. If my memory serves me – there were several Corn Stalks, some Green Bean, a row of Watermelons, a few Cantaloupes, some Squash, Cucumbers and of course 6-8 Tomato plants. Just off our property (in the weeds) was a Wild Strawberry patch and not too far away was a Blackberry patch.
I remember seeing my Dad grab a shaker of salt and go out back and pick and eat 2-3 Tomatoes at a time. Me = I was more into the Strawberries, myself.

But I digress; this year, my Daughter brought home 2 Sweet Cherry Tomato plants. If one was good – two would be twice as good. I built a mini lattice wall for the 2nd one and planted the seedlings in mid May. We have been enjoying them, ever since. Sometimes as many as 20-25 will be orangeish-red and ready for picking and snacking on. We mix them in our Salads but mostly, we just snack on them .. with salt, of course.

We, also, have a few House plants that adorn the Breezeway that separates the House from the Garage. I water everything, daily .. usually from 2 til 2:30 PM. My Beagle Dog, Rascal loves to roam around the yard as I fulfill this chore.
* See photos, above.


The Redskins opened the Pre-Season schedule for all NFL teams in the Hall Of Fame game verses the Indianapolis Colts (yesterday) Sunday August 3, 2008 in Canton, Ohio. Saturday, Darrell Green and Art Monk were inducted in the NFL Hall Of Fame. Congratulations to those Redskins GREATS.

The game was played, mostly, by 2nd stringers and deep bench players.
Starting QB Jason Campbell played two short series’ and threw a 20 yard TD pass to starting WR Antwaan Randle El. But Rookie QB Colt Brennen (Hawaii) seemingly stole the show by throwing two 3rd Quarter TD passes and bringing the Redskins from a 16-9 deficit to a 30-16 win.
There are, still, four more pre-season contests before the Redskins open the NFL season by traveling to New York to play the defending Super Bowl Champion Giants on Thursday September 4, 2008.


Now, Baseball: The Nats ended their 9 game losing streak, this week-end by sweeping the 3 game series at Nationals Park against the Cincinnati Reds.
But .. they, still, suck ! Enough said.


Carl Edwards won NASCAR’s Cheez-It sponsored race at the Pocono Raceway in Log Pond, Pennsylvania. Joe Gibbs Racing’s Tony Stewart finished 2nd while Jimmie Johnson finished 3rd.
JGR’s Denny Hamlin Pitted unexpectedly with 10 laps to go .. and finished 23rd.

The next NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Race will be the Crown Royal 200 at Watkins Glen International in Watkins Glen which is upstate New York .. on Sunday, August 10.
Watkins Glen is one of the oldest road courses in America. The 2.45-mile track that opened in 1956 makes many demands of drivers, who seem to either love it or loathe it.



Soon, I will fly to Key West, Florida but I will not report it here at this Blog nor will I elaborate on it, further.


Today in Key West, the high air temperature is predicted to be 88 degrees with a Relative Humidity of 72 %.
Today’s LoCo weather forecast calls for air temperatures of 90 degrees and with a Relative Humidity of 79 %.



Okay, thanks for dropping by this Blog, today.
I hope to see you, tomorrow, for amateur Lyricist day at this URL.


My time is, now, up .. I thank you for yours.





LARRY CURTIS SPURLOCK

No comments: